Pender is delighted to have been recognised for its excellence in investing. For a second year in a row, Pender has won a Lipper Fund Award. The Pender Small Cap Opportunities Fund received the 2016 Lipper Fund Award for Best Canadian Focused Small/Mid Cap Equity Fund over both three and five year performance periods, relative to industry peers.
- Read the press release here.
- Review the Fund’s performance here.
- Research Lipper’s proprietary performance-based methodology here.
The Pender Small Cap Opportunities Fund was launched on June 1, 2009. As a small cap fund, its success relies on it being able to stay small and nimble enough to access unique opportunities that larger funds simply cannot take advantage of. This meant that at some point the Fund would have to limit the amount of capital under management, and in January 2015, with assets just over $100 Million, the Fund was capped.
However, the Pender Value Fund shares many of the same characteristics, without the limitation on assets under management or market capitalisation:
- The same award-winning Portfolio Manager, David Barr
- The same investment strategy – a focus on market-leading businesses with strong underlying economics, purchased with a margin-of-safety to minimise downside risk and provide a longer runway to potential capital appreciation.
- Many overlapping holdings.
- Reduced weighting in micro-cap, but similar weightings in small to mid-cap.